Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Welshionization

So as you may know, I have been Americanized (“brainwashed” at SAIS, LOL), Japanized (my Japanese friend Yuichi introduced me to the world of green tea dessert and ochazuke) and perhaps Singaporeanized. What you might not know is that I am being “Welshionized”.

Surviving her class and living with her for more than 6 months now, I find myself assimilating to “Prof. Welsh’s culture”. A friend of a friend asked me to help her correct her personal statement and research proposal for a fellowship application. After sending her all of my comments, I looked back at what I wrote and guess what I found - a series of Welsh-like comments:

“…Irrelevant!

…Be more specific!

…This is not a paragraph…

…You don’t even have an introduction or a conclusion for your essay…

…What do you mean by this?...

…Remember to put topic sentences upfront in every paragraph…”

The poor girl must have been shocked at my harsh comments. What she probably does not know is that I got the same type of comments on my first paper for Prof. Welsh’s class. Oh well, I guess I just learned from the best. J

When I told Prof. Welsh about this, she laughed and said: “Hoa, you’re becoming a kind of teacher like me. This is scary.”

It cracks me up whenever I think about how Welshionized I have become. But my future students, you should not laugh. You should be alert! LOL

3 comments:

  1. That's like when I would correct your papers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And there are tons of ppl who have been "Hoanized". I guess I'm one of them:)

    ReplyDelete