Thursday, January 14, 2010

Fortune-tellers

I went to see a fortune teller with my friend Aighee and her friend Indra the other day. It was an interesting experience, as I have never really seen any fortune teller, even when I was in Vietnam. But what made it more exciting for me was that it was a Singaporean fortune teller. I am so Singaporeanized now. How cool is that! But anyway, I do not want to talk about how Singaporeanized I have become. I want to talk about the Singaporean fortune teller’s predictions of what my life would become.

Let’s get to the most thrilling part – relationships. The famous fortune teller said that I would meet my dream guy this October. He would be someone younger than me. Someone younger than me! “That is impossible, because I have always been dating guys who are much older than me”, I thought. But then, I realized that what I have been looking for is not an older man, but one of stature, maturity and sophistication. As it turned out, an older guy does not necessarily come with maturity and sophistication. He might just be a nice boy, and as Spice Girls spiced it - “I need a man, not a boy who thinks he can”.

Looking back at my past relationships, however, I came to realize that it was not the guys, or the boys, or the men who are the problem. It is not that I never found myself a perfect man – I did, but I took him for granted, and now he is gone, leaving a hole in my heart that I thought I could quickly fill up with…other older men.

So I imagined the fortune-teller, after listening to the stories of my life, would likely say to me: Woman, it is you who need to grow up!

In the meantime, I will be waiting for my October man. J

1 comment:

  1. iem yeu qui,
    doc post nay cua em, em lam chi nghi den bo phim "sweet november"...chi that su mong em se co "sweet october" cua minh....life is full of surprise and that makes how beautiful life is. you never know who will be the right man...but i truly think that the right man is meant to be with you no matter what. take care em nhe - chi huong

    ReplyDelete